News24

Defoe receives death threats

2009-01-04 12:09

Portsmouth - England striker Jermain Defoe has received threats from Portsmouth fans angry at his apparent desire to return to Tottenham barely a year after his arrival at Fratton Park.

The forward is believed to be in line for a White Hart Lane return - although Manchester City have also been linked to him, as have Aston Villa and Juventus.

Defoe, 26, told the Sunday Mirror: "I have absolutely no idea how they got hold of my number but some of the calls have made me sick to my stomach.

"I have reported it to officials at the club, but cannot accept that it is coming from people with a balanced state of mind.

"It has infuriated and upset my family and left me wondering what on earth possesses people to do things like that."

Lost coach

Defoe, who missed the holders' FA Cup draw with Bristol City on Saturday, said he wanted to leave the club at a meeting with manager Tony Adams and executive chairman Peter Storrie last week.

Adams insists Defoe will only be allowed to leave Fratton Park for the right price.

Since winning the FA Cup at Wembley against Cardiff in May, Portsmouth have lost coach Harry Redknapp to Spurs while owner Sacha Gaydamak has put the club up for sale and now Pompey face a battle to keep Defoe.

Redknapp said earlier he believed Portsmouth would want some 20 million pounds for the player he signed for less than half that amount only last January.

 

SAPA