News24

CAF dumps Libya for SA

2011-03-17 21:08

Johannesburg - The South African Football Association (SAFA) on Thursday confirmed that it would host the African Youth Championship instead of Libya.

The African football confederation (CAF) decided on Wednesday that the ongoing unrest in Libya made a hosting of the competition, which was due to start March 18, impossible and asked South Africa to step in.

SAFA said it had been involved in a number of discussions with CAF.

"The tournament in South Africa will run from April 17 to May 2," SAFA said.

South Africa, who were knocked out by Lesotho while qualifying for the tournament, will take the place of Libya in the final tournament.

The four semi-finalist from the tournament qualify for the Under- 20 World Cup which will be held in Colombia later this year.

South Africa hosted the World Cup last summer.

SAPA

Comments
  • lenand40 - 2011-03-17 22:03

    Am not sure why SAFA agreed. It seems CAF is only interested if we have to bail them out

  • za101 - 2011-03-17 23:33

    well it shows rest of africa, what an awesome country south africa is. agreed we have problems, but we quite good still

  • G.du Plessis - 2011-03-18 01:57

    Hear hear

  • Wedfew - 2011-03-18 07:07

    Wait the racial comments are yet to start...

      lenand40 - 2011-03-18 08:01

      Counting down!!!!!!!! 9....8....7....

      GabbaGabba - 2011-03-18 10:33

      Truly retarded comment...

  • Scotty - 2011-03-18 07:33

    Good news. Hope our team make the best of the second chance.

  • Limpopoist - 2011-03-18 09:18

    What great news ,i have heared also about rugby world cup that new zealand since after earth quieck stadium are not in good condition ,they should bring it also back to south africa tooo ,where mamma mia never end

  • DoktaPhill - 2011-03-18 10:15

    A neat way to sneak in the back door. After loosing to Lesotho (WTH?), let's hope our U-20 boys seize the 2nd opportunity given them and at least come in the top 4. Colombia here we come.

  • sickntired - 2011-03-18 15:13

    Its not everyday where u get the second chance. Khabo Zondo should organise the camp as from tomorrow until the day the championship games kickoff as we are not going to accept any of his excuses this time around. He should select 3 players per province as much as I hate to tell the coach how he must do his job, but truth is Khabo has never won anything in his coaching career yet he was put ahead to coach our team. Its about time we get the best coaches to coach at junior level the Jomo Sono,Gavin Hunt, Clive Barker, Gordon Igesund are the names we should be having in our junior national teams if we are serious about this country's brighter future.

  • pages:
  • 1