Bin Hammam's ban extended

2012-12-06 21:34
Mohamed bin Hammam (AFP)

Paris - FIFA has extended the provisional ban of former Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president Mohamed bin Hammam, world soccer's governing body said on Thursday.

The 63-year-old Qatari had a lifetime ban overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in July due to lack of evidence over corruption allegations, but was banned again provisionally by FIFA who launched a new probe by ethics committee investigator Michael Garcia.

The final report was completed on December 4 and submitted to the adjudicatory chamber of the FIFA Ethics Committee for examination.

In it Garcia requested the imposition of provisional measures against Bin Hammam "given the extraordinarily complex nature and the considerable scope of the present case".

"Based on the report, the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber has decided to provisionally ban Bin Hammam given that a breach of the FCE (FIFA Code of Ethics) appears to have been committed and that a decision on the main substance of the case may not be taken early enough," FIFA said in a statement.

"Given the seriousness of the violations of the FCE as alleged in the final report, Garcia said in his letter to the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber that it was imperative that Bin Hammam remained banned from football during the pendency of any decision on these charges."

The ethics committee want to look for fresh evidence to relaunch the affair which saw Bin Hamman receive a lifetime ban.

Bin Hammam, who challenged Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency last year, was accused of trying to buy votes of Caribbean officials. He withdrew his candidacy and Blatter was re-elected unopposed for a fourth term as FIFA president.

Bin Hammam was then banned for life after being found guilty of breaking seven articles of FIFA's ethics code, including one on bribery.

Read more on:    fifa  |  mohamed bin hammam  |  soccer


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.