Beckham 'not joining PSG'
Doha - David Beckham will not join Paris Saint-Germain for "family reasons", the big-spending Qatar-backed French club's sporting director Leonardo said on Tuesday.
"He will not come to PSG," said the Brazilian, citing "family reasons" for the 36-year-old former England captain's decision not to relocate from Los Angeles to the French capital.
Leonardo's announcement brings to an end months of speculation linking Beckham, whose contract with Los Angeles Galaxy finished on December 31, with a transfer to PSG, who on Friday named Italian Carlo Ancelotti as their new coach.
PSG, who play AC Milan in a friendly in Dubai on Wednesday, earlier trained under the watchful eye of new owner, Qatar's Crown Prince Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, and club president Nasser al-Khelaifi.
Following the close-season purchase of the club by wealthy investors Qatar Sports Investments (QSI), headed by the crown prince, rumours had been rife in the French press that the deal was as good as done.
But other sources close to Beckham had long kept their distance.
QSI strode into the French capital and bought a 70% controlling stake in PSG in June, with Khelaifi promising "to make the club a great team and a strong brand on the international scene".
They promptly spent €85 million in the summer to attract new talent including a massive €42 million forked out to Italian side Napoli for 22-year-old midfielder Javier Pastore.