News24

'Beckham not going on loan'

2010-12-21 07:55

London - The Los Angeles Galaxy says David Beckham is expected back at the team next month rather than going on loan to another club during the Major League Soccer offseason.

The 35-year-old midfielder had said that he hoped to play in Europe during the winter to boost his chances of being recalled to England's national team.

Beckham spent the last two winters at AC Milan but the Galaxy is reluctant to send him out on loan again after he injured an Achilles' tendon while playing in Italy in March.

The Galaxy said on Monday in a statement to The Associated Press that it is "not aware that David is looking to be loaned to any other team and we are fully expecting he reports with the rest of his Galaxy teammates in late January for the upcoming season."

Having missed the first six months of the previous MLS season, Beckham had previously said he was focused on returning to full fitness rather than seeking another loan move.

But Beckham surprisingly said this week that he intended to play a loan spell somewhere in Europe.

"I won't be going back to AC Milan this time because is not possible to go onto the roster for such a short length of time," Beckham said. "But I will be going back somewhere as I want to keep myself fit and keep myself in with a chance of getting called up for England again. To do that, I have to be somewhere so fingers crossed I can sort something out."

Beckham has made 115 appearances for England - the most for an outfield player.

"My body feels great after my injury," Beckham said. "I always said I needed to get that back into order and keep my fitness and we will see."

Beckham said the only Premier League team he would consider playing for was Manchester United, which he left in 2003 to join Real Madrid.

"Maybe one day I will come back here but I have always said that it will only be for Manchester United," Beckham said. "I am not holding my breath on that one, but we will have to wait and see."

Beckham has one season remaining on his five-year $32.5 million contract with the Galaxy and has said he has no plans to buy out the final year of the deal.

SAPA