SAFA admit Bafana bungle

2011-02-03 14:06

Johannesburg - Kirsten Nematandani, the president of the South African Football Association (SAFA), admitted on Thursday they had bungled next week's friendly fixture which will now be played against Kenya.

"We admit that things did not go the right way because the game was announced before we signed a contract," Nematandani said at a media conference.

"We have learned from this."

Bafana Bafana were expected to face Burkina Faso in Rustenburg on Wednesday but announced a week before the match they would face the East African nation instead.

The fixture change was announced on Wednesday, a day after SAFA CEO Leslie Sedibe was removed from his post as problems within the national body's administration continued to rise.

Nematandani initially said there had only been speculation that Bafana would play Burkina Faso, and the two nations had agreed to face each other only in principle. He said no announcement had been made.

However, after a member of the media pointed out he match had been included on the fixture list on the FIFA website, and therefore the international governing body had been informed, Nematandani said they would look for options to ensure clarity with the national associations of opposing teams in future.

"Perhaps we need to have up front two-year friendlies that the coach will identify," he said.

"We should own up when things don't go right. We have no problem with that."

Bafana Bafana acting team manager Barney Kujane, said they had been given the runaround by Burkina Faso's football officials.

"Burkina Faso was approached by the association (SAFA) in writing," Kujane said.

"They responded in writing and we sent them a contract.

"They did not sign the contract and we phoned them many times but they did not respond.

"We eventually found them in Paris and they said they were not in a position to sign a contract."

Bafana Bafana coach Pitso Mosimane, said they had tried in vain to find a North African opponent.

"We would have preferred a North African team," Mosimane said.

"They have the same mentality and a similar style of play.

"We hoped to play Burkina Faso, but while they agreed in principle to play us, they withdrew at the last minute.

"We spoke to Libya and they indicated they wanted to play us, but they also withdrew.

"We then wanted to play Burundi and they also showed interest, but we settled with Kenya."

Mosimane said the team would put administrative issues aside and focus on next week's game in preparation for their 2012 African Cup of Nations qualifier against Egypt in March.

"We will channel our energy into the game against Kenya," he said.

"Whatever has happened is water under the bridge."


  • bill - 2011-02-03 14:26

    SAFA=South African fools association

      Darkie - 2011-02-03 16:00

      i like it

  • Bantu - 2011-02-03 14:37

    Same old story.

  • larrikin - 2011-02-03 14:53

    challenge Botswana, we wanna use u(SA) to climb up FIFA rankings

  • Bill Xhosa - 2011-02-03 14:57

    Actually this sounds positive. They announced without a contract .hey admitted a mistake and they are learning and moving on. Don't you wish the rest of the government worked like that.

      Dougalan - 2011-02-03 15:17

      For our govt to admit their 'mistakes' and move on, they would have to fire themselves....

  • Peter Armstrong - 2011-02-03 15:16

    1 billion rand for Bafana for 3 years. Yeah right. Make the Brand worth 1 Billion by changing the management.

  • Baalie - 2011-02-03 15:35

    The administrators at SAFA should be fired for screwing up fixtures all the time. They get paid to do a job and if you cant fulfill your work contract then you should leave! But it doesn't happen at SAFA. They only get promoted to manager or some other higher position. Coming SAFA get your act together!

  • Kaybee - 2011-02-03 15:52

    different hierachy same shi##.its amazing how SAFA has bungled job after job..well most were happy when Netandani became the new SAFA chief but since he took over the list of errors & bungles has worsened...14 months into the job his administration has entertained us with nothing but embarassment,his hall of shame include...the failure to enter the under-23 side for the All-Africa Games qualifiers,the demise of Amajita,the Santana saga....the list is endless

  • DILLIGAF - 2011-02-03 15:59

    And these are the same clowns who want SABC to fork out a billion rand for Bafana Bafana broadcast rights. They are so incometent it is scary. Also why must they lie to cover up their mess. Typical!!!

  • Darkie - 2011-02-03 16:01

    No wonder Sedibe left SAFA, u r bunch of morons

      Mxhuma - 2011-02-03 17:34

      Could this be one of the reasons he left. Or was he fired? This article states that he was removed from his post. SUFFER is a very strange organisation.

  • Mxhuma - 2011-02-03 17:13

    Hugely disappointed at this debacle. When Nematandani became Prez I was hoping for a different approach and an improvement. Alas! I was day dreaming. It is not the first time that these guys have to settle for peanuts in a FIFA sanctioned week for friendlies. Bafana Bafana is their most important thing - it a brand. So if they cannot organise friendly matches for the senior, what are the chances of them doing anything else right except ensuring that bonuses are paid on time. I am immensely disappointed. Only yesterday we received the positive news of Bafana climbing the Fifa ranking, now this. The worst case scenario is that Kenya will beat them up and they will go and face the Egyptians in disarray.

  • pages:
  • 1