Johannesburg - Former Bafana Bafana captain Lucas Radebe has clarified his position after recent media reports linked him with the now-filled assistant coach role of the national team.
The former Kaizer Chiefs and Leeds United player insisted that he was never approached to be part of the Gordon Igesund era, the new Bafana coach.
"I’ve never been approached," Radebe said at the Soccerex African Forum launch in Durban on Tuesday.
"I’ve spoken to (SAFA chief executive) Robin (Petersen), but nobody had said anything to me about the position."
Radebe, along with another ex-South African international Fani Madida, had been strongly linked to the post over the past week that was officially filled by Thomas Madigage on Tuesday.
"It was all in the media and that’s how I heard as well," he said.
Radebe was still willing to get involved with coaching, though, he said it did not necessarily mean at the highest level.
"I’ve always said I want to get involved as a former player," said Radebe.
"It doesn’t necessarily mean with the national team, but football development, the structures and grassroots.
"Those are the things I am worried about."
The 43-year-old also hailed the appointment of Igesund, whom he said deserved the role after having taken over from the sacked Pitso Mosimane last month.
"Just looking at Gordon’s CV, you see how impressive it is," Radebe said.
"I don’t think anyone would have argued with the decision to make him a coach, especially after the season he had with Swallows.
"He woke up a sleeping giant.
"The big plus with having him is that he is a local, he knows the players well and we don’t have to go outside to look for someone.
"Also, it’s not just the management that chose him, it was the supporters because everyone has spoken about him getting the job and now he has."