Bafana Bafana

Morocco play down AFCON call

2014-10-17 21:34
AFCON 2015 (Supplied)
AFCON 2015 (Supplied)

Cape Town - Morocco have played down talk of next year's African Nations Cup being cancelled, while South Africa gave a lukewarm response on Friday to a suggestion they could step in as hosts.

Morocco stunned African football last week when they asked that the January 17-February 8 tournament be postponed overs fears that travelling supporters could put the country at greater risk from the Ebola epidemic.

The request was immediately rejected by the Confederation of African Football (CAF).

Yet a letter sent by the governing body to other countries this week, asking if they could stand in as hosts, sparked a flurry of erroneous reports about the tournament being cancelled.

Morocco's sports minister has now claimed his country does not want to jeopardise the tournament but would like to discuss the potential health implications with CAF.

"There is no way we are talking about the cancellation of the tournament," Mohammed Ouzzine told Hespress TV.

"We are talking with CAF to find a solution. We are concerned about what happens in Africa because we are part of this continent and we are proud to be a part of it," he said.

CAF president Issa Hayatou is set to meet Moroccan authorities next month to discuss the request.

African football's governing body this week asked seven countries whether they would be able to step in at the last minute and host the 16-team event should Morocco withdraw.

South Africa gave a lukewarm response. "There are just too many factors to consider for South Africa if we are to host a tournament of this magnitude," said a statement from sports minister Fikile Mbalula.

"Our major concern is the cost implication of such a tournament when South Africa is currently grappling with its own fiscal challenges.

"A tournament of this nature, if planned outside the normal budgetary cycle, will require budgetary adjustments, a process that is currently not an option.

"The tournament, as is also a concern for Morocco, may also pose a challenge on how we can grapple with the Ebola challenge engulfing the continent at the moment," he added.

South African Football Association president Danny Jordaan said at a Friday news conference in Johannesburg: "The issue being raised whether South Africa is the Plan B is neither here nor there because Morocco are the official hosts. That talk of us being Plan B is unfair."

More than 4 500 people have died from the worst Ebola outbreak on record, the World Health Organisation said on Wednesday.

Read more on:    afcon 2015  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk


Bafana Bafana have been drawn with Cameroon, Gambia and Mauritania in the qualification stages for the 2017 AFCON tournament. Where will Shakes Mashaba's men finish in their pool?

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.