News24

Majoro not phased by critics

2012-05-31 14:47

Rustenburg - Bafana Bafana striker Lehlohonolo Majoro said he was not phased by criticism he has had to endure over the last year.

Despite bagging 10 goals in the league in his first season at Kaizer Chiefs after signing from AmaZulu, some still doubt Majoro's capabilities - especially at international level.

"People tend to forget that this was my second season in the Premier Soccer League," the 25-year-old player said on Thursday.

The frustration got to him in a club match mid-season where he brandished a 'I've got Ballz' scribbling for his detractors.

"I've never been affected by public opinion," Majoro said.

"Many will have input whether good or bad and I have prepared myself mentally from whatever opinion.

"I believe as a player you learn in each game and the more you play." Majoro said he has learnt from his national team introduction last year during the failed 2012 Africa Cup of Nations campaign.

Bafana's lack of ruthlessness, a poor attack and lack of experience were exposed - something the team aimed to change in their coming matches.

Majoro was one of the players blamed for missed chances in one of the games away to Niger, that turned out to be group changing result.

He was subsequently dropped from the national team soon after along with fellow Chiefs player, Bernard Parker, as Bafana tested other options with little success.

Majoro has been a late addition to the current squad, initially as cover for Eleazar Rodgers, who had club commitments.

With Thulani Serero on compassionate leave because of a death in the family, he was kept on to be the fifth striker by coach Pitso Mosimane.

"One always looks back into previous games and looks to rectify mistakes - and that we did," Majoro said.

"In the next game you fix them. It's not easy sometimes, but by all means, I always believe.

"I'm here (with Bafana) because the coaches believe I can deliver, and whether I play or not is not my decision."

Majoro also believed that Bafana had a formidable team to select - especially upfront.

This is crucial ahead of their Group A 2014 World Cup qualifiers and next year's Africa Cup of Nations tournament.

South Africa face Ethiopia at Royal Bafokeng Stadium on Sunday for their opening World Cup qualifier.

"Siyabonga Nomvethe, Rodgers and (Tokelo) Rantie have been doing well this past season," said Majoro.

"I believe we have a competitive team that can provide the results.

"Everyone here wants to represent the country and is looking forward to our duty.

"We want to ensure that we win the game against Ethiopia since we didn't do well in the Afcon qualifiers.

"So far, I don't see what will prevent us from winning."

SAPA

Comments
  • upumba - 2012-05-31 15:52

    hands off Majoro, asseblief..............

      Tebogo - 2012-05-31 21:24

      take it easy, take ur time.

  • cosmas.ngwenya - 2012-05-31 16:16

    mxm, useless!

  • nkosinathi.dyantyi.9 - 2012-05-31 19:18

    Ignored them majoro

  • rodney.maroboy - 2012-06-01 08:08

    Stop with ur excuses majoro.we dnt care if its ur second seans.the fact is u ar 25 not a young star,we xpct mre frm you.if u wr between 18 and 22 i ws goin 2 undstnd.cme on bra pull up ur socks

  • pages:
  • 1