Bafana Bafana

Letters of warning for Bafana

2012-03-28 07:46
Johannesburg - Letters of warning have been issued to those responsible for Bafana Bafana's Mbombela disaster, according to a report in the Sowetan.

SAFA chief executive Robin Petersen confirmed on Tuesday that action had been taken against the individuals responsible for misreading the qualifying rules that cost Bafana a place at the Africa Nations Cup in Equatorial Guinea.

But he declined to name the culprits - even when asked by Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula.

"Letters of warning were written to people who should have known better," Petersen said in an interview with Avusa Media on Tuesday.

"We had sent a report to the minister and to SASCOC (SA Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee) which indicated that disciplinary action had been taken against those who I felt were responsible for not reading the rules properly.

"But as I said to SASCOC and to the minister and to my (executive committee), that's a matter between myself and the employees."

Petersen said emotions ran high where Bafana Bafana were involved.

"I listened to explanations that were given and then took what I believed was the right disciplinary action," he said.

Read more on:    safa  |  robin petersen  |  soccer


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk


Bafana Bafana have been drawn with Cameroon, Gambia and Mauritania in the qualification stages for the 2017 AFCON tournament. Where will Shakes Mashaba's men finish in their pool?

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.