Bafana Bafana

Igesund: We still have time

2012-11-15 07:42
Gordon Igesund (Gallo)
Johannesburg - Bafana Bafana coach Gordon Igesund says that he still has a lot of work to do with his side after they suffered a 1-0 loss at home to Zambia on Wednesday.

A stunning strike from Collins Mbesuma decided matters, but Bafana struggled to create chances while they also rode their luck on other occasions against the African champions.

Igesund believes that when he has his players together for an extended period of time, things will improve, although he admitted that he was disappointed to lose the game.

Gallery: Bafana v Zambia

Video: South Africa v Zambia

"Congratulations to them, they scored a wonderful goal. I think we could have done better in certain areas of the game. I think when we went 1-0 down, we really got into areas and tried to play," he said.

"End of the day, it's a good exercise for us, I think it was excellent. Disappointed of course that we lost... I didn't think we really deserved to lose, but it was a wondergoal.

"We had our chances, maybe not enough, but we really need to work on our combinations, set-pieces, free-kicks, that we haven't done yet.

Asked if South Africa were running out of time ahead of the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations, he added, "I don't think we are running out of time, I mean I'm only going to get the players three weeks or four weeks before the first game.

"This game gave me a good idea of certain players - I think we are on track.

"I'm disappointed that we lost because the guys were psyched up. We know what we have to do, we have 75 percent of the team, just the other 25 percent must be put right as quick as I can.

"We are not a team yet, we are 23 players put together to go and play a game. We are not a team or a unit yet."

Read more on:    bafana bafana  |  gordon igesund  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
34 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 

Get fit on a budget

It’s time to throw the “I can’t afford to exercise” excuse out the window.

 
 

Where were you when you last felt alive?

Tips for paddling your first Dusi
Climbing the world’s largest stone arch
Awesome extreme sports people
Watch: 2015 Absa Cape Epic route
Fixtures
15 November 2014
South Africa v Sudan, Mbombela Stadium 15:00
19 November 2014
Nigeria v South Africa, Uyo International Stadium 17:00
Previous Results

Date Home Team Result Away Team
Vote

What is the reason behind Bafana Bafana's recent success?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

Got something you'd like to get off your chest? Got a burning desire to air an opinion? If so, be sure to sign-up on Sport24's FORUM!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

Forum Have your Say on Sport24's brand new Forum!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.