Johannesburg - A request has been sent to Public Protector Thuli Madonsela to consider investigating the allegations of match-fixing involving the South African national team, the SA Football Association's (SAFA) former chief executive said on Friday.
Leslie Sedibe, who was at the helm of SAFA during 2010, the year South Africa hosted the FIFA World Cup, said in a statement he had sent the request in his personal capacity.
"There has been much speculation with regard to the match-fixing allegations and the names of many individuals have been drawn into these allegations, including my own name," he said.
"I was CEO of SAFA at the time.
"I am determined to maintain and protect my good name and reputation and I am of the opinion that this matter has dragged on for far too long. Justice delayed is justice denied."
The alleged fixing took place prior to the 2010 World Cup and involved the host team Bafana Bafana and their international friendly matches which were used as preparation for the tournament.
During his tenure at SAFA, Sedibe, who is now the chief executive of Section 21 organisation Proudly South African, signed a contract with the Singaporean company Football 4U.
According to a FIFA report into the alleged fixing, Football 4U had been linked to convicted match-fixer Wilson Perumal Raj, and several pre-World Cup matches were cast under suspicion after referees were provided, and paid, by Football 4U.
"I have repeatedly placed on record... that I fully support calls for a full and independent investigation into the allegations, and I am prepared to give my full support and co-operation to get to the bottom of these allegations once and for all," Sedibe said.
"I have now approached the public protector's office through my attorneys."
Sedibe said he was not in a position to add anything further to his statement, pending a possible investigation.