Paddy HarperThe South African Football Association (Safa) may be preparing to buy the trademark “Bafana - Bafana” from a Joburg businessman for a whopping R33 million.A senior Safa official told City Press yesterday that the figure had been discussed as an acceptable amount to pay Wayne Smidt, whose company owns 49.9% of Safa Legal and Management (Slam) – the company that owns the Bafana trademark.Safa owns the other 50.1% of Slam, but is unhappy with the fact that such a large cut of Bafana - royalties would go to Smidt, who also wholly owns the trademark for Bafana Bafana clothing.Details of the negotiations - between Safa and Smidt come - after Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula weighed in on the matter. He said he believed the national football team needed a more appropriate name.“We need lions that will roar,” Mbalula said this week.It is understood that negotiations between Smidt and Safa are ongoing and that the businessman may be asking a higher price for the lucrative brand, which brings in millions of rand in sales of jerseys and other paraphernalia.Safa president Kirsten Nematandani said yesterday he - expected a report on the matter to be tabled at the next Safa executive meeting. He confirmed that there had been negotiations with Smidt, but declined to name a figure.Asked if R33 million was realistic, he said: “We would be happy to receive such an offer, but haven’t seen it. There have been talks for some time, but I am not going to disclose what the figures are.”The Safa leadership is - understood to be broadly supportive of retaining the Bafana name, but -negotiations with Smidt will - influence the final outcome. Smidt did not respond to calls for - comment. - Additional reporting by Lucas Ledwaba.