Berlin - The Confederation of African Football (CAF) will allow
Tunisia to enter the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) after its football association
(FTF) apologised for claiming the CAF had shown bias, the governing
body said on Tuesday.
But the CAF rejected Tunisia's appeal against a $50 000 fine
for the violent behaviour of players in a controversial quarter-final
defeat to 2015 Africa Cup of Nations hosts Equatorial Guinea earlier this year.
Tunisia players attacked the referee for awarding a late penalty
against them in the game and it was this decision which led to the
FTF making the accusation of favouritism.
The AFCON organising committee responded by threatening Tunisia
with expulsion from the 2017 tournament, which begins with first
qualifiers in June, if it did not apologise for the allegation by
March 31. It did so at a meeting in Dakar on March 13.
"The (CAF) appeal board noted the great dignity of the intervention
of the Tunisian Football Federation during that hearing," the
governing body said in a statement.
"The appeal board noted that during the deliberations, the Tunisian
Federation began its presentation with a formal apology."
In addition to the fine for violent behaviour, the FTF will also pay
for damage caused to a dressing room after the loss to Equatorial