Togo to fight suspension

2010-02-01 16:05
Emmanual Adebayor (AFP)

Lome - Togo's government says it will fight the football team's suspension from the next two editions of the African Cup of Nations following its withdrawal from last month's tournament.

Spokesperson Pascal Bodjona described the ban as "insulting" late Sunday. He did not say what action Togo would take.

Bodjona said the team asked to come home after the January 8 bus attack in Angola that killed a coach, a team spokesperson and a driver two days before the start of the tournament.

However, Togo captain Emmanuel Adebayor said the team wanted to stay for the tournament but were ordered home.

A separatist group in Angola claimed responsibility for the attack.


What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk


Bafana Bafana have been drawn with Cameroon, Gambia and Mauritania in the qualification stages for the 2017 AFCON tournament. Where will Shakes Mashaba's men finish in their pool?

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.