Togo disqualified from AFCON

2010-01-11 18:25
AFCON logo (file)

Cabinda - The African football confederation says Togo has been officially disqualified from the African Cup of Nations.

Togo was scheduled to play its first match against Ghana on Monday in Group B, but the team withdrew after two people from the Togolese delegation died in an ambush last week.

CAF coordinator Yaouba Amoa told The Associated Press that "the team is disqualified. This (group) will be a three-team tournament."

Ghana will now play its first game on Friday against Ivory Coast.

Before the team returned home Sunday, the Togolese government had asked organisers to postpone the competition in order to give its players the opportunity to mourn their dead.


What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk


Bafana Bafana have been drawn with Cameroon, Gambia and Mauritania in the qualification stages for the 2017 AFCON tournament. Where will Shakes Mashaba's men finish in their pool?

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.