Toulon rule out O'Connor heart problem

2016-02-27 20:32
James O'Connor (AFP)

Paris - Toulon coach Bernard Laporte on Saturday played down speculation that Australian international back James O'Connor had been laid low by a heart problem.

Local media reported in midweek that the 25-year-old Wallabies star had suffered a heart attack, but Laporte insisted that there was no evidence to suggest the player had a heart condition.

"He has an illness. I will not use the words 'heart problem' because I am not a doctor and I don't know that," said Laporte.

"What is certain is that the battery of tests that he underwent were all good.

"Apparently it is nothing genetic or of the heart. I hope that he will be able to return as soon as possible."

O'Connor was taken to hospital after coming down with the illness last weekend following Toulon's 43-13 win at Oyonnax.

He missed Saturday's 44-15 win over Brive.

On Friday, O'Connor had tweeted that he had only been tired.

"No heart attack. Hypoglycemia & game/training fatigue All tests very positive," he wrote.

Read more on:    toulon  |  james o'connor  |  rugby

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Did Stormers and Springboks lock Pieter-Steph du Toit deserve to be named SA Rugby Player of the Year?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.