SA's 2023 RWC hosting hopes boosted as Italy withdraw

2016-09-28 20:18

Rome - The Italian Rugby Federation has withdrawn its bid to host the 2023 World Cup.

The federation says the decision was based on the expected withdrawal of Rome's bid to host the 2024 Olympics.

Federation president Alfredo Gavazzi says, "Our candidature has always been strictly connected to the Olympic Games bid for Rome 2024 and, as agreed with the government and the Olympic committee, we are unable to provide necessary commitments for us to move forward."

Italy's withdrawal leaves France, Ireland and South Africa in the running for the tournament. The host country will be selected in November, 2017.

Rome's city council is expected to vote down its Olympic bid on Thursday following Mayor Virginia Raggi's rejection of the candidacy last week.

Read more on:    rwc 2023  |  rugby

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

SA Rugby's coaching indaba is set to take place this week. Do you think the two-day think-tank will make any difference?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.