Cape Town - Flyhalf Pat Lambie has reportedly asked to be released from his joint contract with the Springboks and the Sharks.
Afrikaans newspaper, Rapport, reported on Sunday that Lambie had officially requested SA Rugby to release him of his joint contract.
Lambie is struggling with ongoing concussion symptoms and unlikely to play rugby again this year.
The Bok pivot's future in the game was cast in doubt when he was concussed in a May 13 clash against the Southern Kings.
That followed the sickening blow he received from Ireland flank CJ Stander last June - a knock that kept him out for more than five months.
However, he remains eager to keep playing rugby and French Top 14 club Racing 92 is likely to be his next destination, the report in the Afrikaans newspaper stated.
Meanwhile, in in an interview with East Coast Radio last week, Lambie said: “I'm training again, but am not making contact yet. I will talk to the doctor again soon and hope to get the necessary approval to return to the field. We will then decide on the way forward.”
Lambie had earlier stated that he had no plans to call it a day.
"I will be playing rugby again and I certainly have no plans to retire,” he said in July. “My focus for now is purely on making a full recovery and getting fit and strong again. Once the three-month rest period has been completed, I will be reassessed to determine where we are in terms of the rugby calendar for the rest of the 2017 season.”
The 26-year-old Lambie boasts 56 Test caps for the Springboks, the last of which came against Wales in Cardiff last November.