Get the Sport24 daily newsletter delivered to your Inbox!

Mallett says 'no thanks' after England call

2015-10-09 12:16
Nick Mallett (Gallo Images)

Cape Town - Following their team’s exit from the Rugby World Cup, England’s rugby bosses appear interested in the services of former Springbok coach Nick Mallett.

Current England coach Stuart Lancaster’s job appears to be under threat after his side failed to reach the knock-out stages of this year’s World Cup.

England lost at their Twickenham home to both Wales and Australia to become the first hosts of a World Cup to be eliminated in the group stages of the tournament.

Then-Italy coach Mallett was overlooked for the England job in 2011, when the English RFU opted to appoint Lancaster.

Mallett was speaking at a Blue Bulls breakfast on Thursday when he confirmed that he had received a call from England earlier this week.

But this time around he’s not interested in the job, the SuperSport pundit said.

“I’m not going to consider it. I was keen for the challenge in 2011, but not anymore. I’m enjoying my current job,” said Mallett.

Although under contract until 2020, and with the English RFU saying no hasty decisions will be made regarding the coaching role, recent media reports appear to indicate that Lancaster's time as England coach could be over.

England face Uruguay in Manchester on Saturday (kick-off 21:00 SA time) to conclude their World Cup campaign.

What To Read Next

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Opinion Poll

Did Stormers and Springboks lock Pieter-Steph du Toit deserve to be named SA Rugby Player of the Year?

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.