Get the Sport24 daily newsletter delivered to your Inbox!

Joseph out for 3 months after RWC injury

2015-10-23 14:15
Jonathan Joseph (Gallo)

London - England centre Jonathan Joseph will be out of action for three months with a chest injury sustained during the Rugby World Cup, his Bath side said on Friday.

The 24-year-old underwent surgery this week to repair damage to his pectoral muscle and he is now a doubt for the start of the Six Nations tournament in February, Bath said.


Joseph was injured in England's opening World Cup win against Fiji, missed the defeat by Wales but returned in the 33-13 loss to Australia that consigned England to their humiliation of failing to reach the quarter-finals.

England coach Stuart Lancaster retained Joseph in the matchday 23 for the rout of minnows Uruguay, but he sat out Bath's win over Exeter last weekend and will now miss the start of the English Premiership club's European Cup campaign.

"Bath can confirm that centre Jonathan Joseph underwent surgery earlier this week for a pectoral injury sustained during the World Cup," said a statement from the west country club.

"Joseph, who made his 16th international appearance for England during the competition, will be out of action for approximately three months.

England open their Six Nations against Scotland at Murrayfield on February 6.

What To Read Next

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Opinion Poll

Did Stormers and Springboks lock Pieter-Steph du Toit deserve to be named SA Rugby Player of the Year?

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.