Van Wyk gets Baby Boks call
Dawie Theron (Gallo Images)
Johannesburg - A hamstring injury to regular South African Baby Boks winger Patrick Howard has ruled him out of the remainder of the IRB Junior World Championship and forced head coach Dawie Theron to call up Western Province midfielder Kobus van Wyk as a replacement.
Howard, who scored a try against Italy during the group stages of the tournament, sustained the injury during a training session on Thursday.
A scan confirmed the injury and Howard will be out of action for between four to six weeks.
"It is a pity. Pat really excelled in this tournament and he will be missed on the field," Theron said.
"Luckily he agreed to stay on with the team, which is great, as he is one of the best team members around.
"We are lucky that Kobus was part of our training squad and in fact played against Argentina in the warm-up series a couple of weeks back.
"An injury ruled him out of the final squad selection and I am happy for him to get a chance, even at this late stage of the tournament."
Van Wyk joined the squad on Friday and participated in their afternoon practise session.
Van Wyk said he was on his way to the gym when he received the call that he had been called up into Theron's side.
"I was so excited, I packed my bags immediately, even though I only had to join today [Friday]," the former Paarl Gymnasium pupil said.
There was some good news for Theron with regards to regular captain Wiaan Liebenberg and fly-half Tony Jantjies, with both being given the green light for selection against Argentina on Sunday.
The semi-final clash takes place at Newlands.