Five changes to Bok line-up
Port Elizabeth - The Springboks on Tuesday made five changes to the starting line-up for Saturday’s Castle Tri-Nations Test against New Zealand in Port Elizabeth.
WIN: A personalised Bok jersey
There were recalls for flyhalf Morné Steyn, loose forward Willem Alberts, hooker Bismarck du Plessis and loosehead prop Gurthrö Steenkamp. Patrick Lambie replaces the injured Frans Steyn at fullback.
In changes to the bench, CJ van der Linde was recalled as one of two props named in a five-two split while, Ashley Johnson replaces Jean Deysel, while Tendai Mtawarira, Danie Rossouw and Butch James are also among the replacements. Deysel and Gerhard Mostert drop out of the match 22.
“This is our last chance to look at certain combinations before the Rugby World Cup. We’ve had these changes in mind since we started our planning for the international season, depending on the injury situation,” said Peter de Villiers, the Springbok coach.
Victor Matfield will captain the team for a 16th time in his record 107th Test appearance for the Springboks.
15 Pat Lambie, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Heinrich Brüssow, 5 Victor Matfield (captain), 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Gurthro Steenkamp
Substitutes: 16 John Smit, Tendai Mtawarira, CJ van der Linde, Danie Rossouw, Ashley Johnson, Francois Hougaard, Butch James
• This is the first Castle Tri-Nations Test match in Port Elizabeth.
• South Africa’s record against New Zealand is: Played 82; Won 33; Lost 46; Drawn 3; Points for 1 268; Points against 1 554; Tries for 125; Tries against 161; Average score 15-19.
• South Africa’s Castle Tri-Nations record against New Zealand is: Played 35; Won 10; Lost 25; Points for 685; Points against 987; Tries for 62; Tries against 93. Average score 20-28.
• South Africa’s home record in the Castle Tri-Nations against New Zealand is: Played 17; Won 7; Lost 10; Points for 391; Points against 474; Tries for 36; Tries against 45. Average score 23-28.
• Victor Matfield makes 111th appearance in the Springbok jersey to equal the record of Joost van der Westhuizen. Matfield extends the following records: Most capped Springbok and lock to 107 caps; most capped Springbok against New Zealand to 24 and also most capped Springbok in the Castle Tri-Nations to 43 appearances.
• Jaque Fourie and Jean de Villiers extend their record for most Springbok appearances as a centre pairing in the starting line-up in Tests to 24.
• Victor Matfield and Bakkies Botha will extend their World Record for most appearances as a lock combination in the starting line-up to 62.
• Bismarck and Jannie du Plessis will appear in their 16th Test together as brothers, eight more Tests than Carel and Michael du Plessis between 1984 and 1989.
• The following players will extend their Springbok records as follows: Bryan Habana – 69th Test as wing; Jean de Villiers – 55th Test as centre.