Boks lose Du Plessis
Cape Town - Springbok prop Jannie du Plessis will miss the second Vodacom Tri-Nations Test against the All Blacks in Wellington on Saturday.
Tighthead du Plessis suffered a Grade 2 strain to his calf muscle in the first encounter at Eden Park in Auckland last weekend and has been ruled out by the medical team. This paves the way for either BJ Botha or CJ van der Linde to start at Westpac Stadium at the weekend.
Du Plessis will continue to receive treatment for the injury.
Speaking at a press conference in the New Zealand capital on Monday, team doctor Craig Roberts confirmed that du Plessis’ injury was the only concern after the bruising 12-32 defeat to the All Blacks.
Springbok coach Peter de Villiers told media that there was no panic in the Springbok ranks following the weekend’s disappointing result.
“The way you lose is not as important as how you stand up from such a defeat,” he said.
“The guys know they didn’t perform well, they remain proud and they realise that they have hard work ahead of them this week.
“The All Blacks were very good at the weekend and they did not allow us space to play the way we wanted.”
Asked about suggestions that the Springbok players had been affected by travel fatigue during the match at the weekend, De Villiers said: “The players are professionals and travel is part of their daily lives. They are no strangers to travelling here as they do in Super 14. We can’t look for excuses. The All Blacks were better than us, it’s as simple as that.”