Stormers: Good news on injury front
Cape Town - The Stormers have no major injury concerns in their camp this week, as they get set to host the Blues at Newlands on Saturday (17:05 kick-off).
The men from the Cape opened their 2015 Super Rugby campaign with a memorable 29-17 win over the Bulls in Pretoria and they could be boosted this week by the return of forwards Frans Malherbe and Siya Kolisi and wing Kobus van Wyk.
The trio missed the trip to Pretoria, but more will be known about their participation in Round 2 when the team is announced on Thursday, just before lunch-time.
“It’s a healthy situation for us, but these players need to work hard in order to make the team,” Coetzee told the Stormers’ official website.
“First and foremost, however, they need to be 100% physically in a position to produce the goods. We know their capabilities - that’s certainly not in question.”
Preparing to face the Blues this weekend, Coetzee warned:
“If you’re arrogant (in this tournament) you will be cut down to size quickly. It’s just one game (that we’ve played)… Just like you cannot be judged on one poor performance you cannot be judged on one good performance. However, what is important is to have belief and to build on that belief.
“We have a good record here (at Newlands) and it is something we would like to keep intact. We have a lot pride when it comes to our home record and we would certainly like to start our home campaign on a good note.”
The full Stormers injury report on Monday:
- There are no casualties from the weekend. Lock Jean Kleyn is a bit tight from the Bulls game. He was substituted in the 41st minute in order not to over-extend him in his first start of 2015, as was fellow lock Ruan Botha who played until the 49th minute.
- Wing Kobus van Wyk (calf muscle) trained in a controlled environment on Monday. More will be known about his participation on Saturday later in the week (by Thursday).
- Flank Michael Rhodes and backs Dillyn Leyds and Cheslin Kolbe did not take part in training on Monday as part of their management - neither are in any selection doubt for this week.
- Prop Frans Malherbe (ankle) and Siya Kolisi (hamstring) joined full team training on Monday. Their match fitness will dictate whether or not they come into the selection mix against the Blues.
- Locks Eben Etzebeth (chest) and Manuel Carizza (shoulder) are on track to return for the Lions match (February 28 in Johannesburg) and centre/fullback Jaco Taute (knee) is on course to return for the Sharks clash (March 7 in Cape Town).