Cape Town - The penultimate round of the regular Super Rugby season saw the home sides in the South African Conference take the spoils.
The 18th round produced some surprising results with the Stormers ending the Bulls’ chances of reaching the playoffs, while the Cheetahs struck a blow to the Cell C Sharks’ hopes of claiming a home semi-final.
South African players are well represented on the improved Vodacom Rugby Stats App
with athletes from the losing sides featuring at the top of some categories.
Springbok flyhalf Marnitz Boshoff was again the leading points-scorer with the 19 points he contributed in the Lions’ record sixth victory of the season.
He converted five penalties and two try conversions in his side’s 34-17 victory over the Rebels in Johannesburg on Friday.
Boshoff is followed by the Force’s Jayden Hayward with his 15 points, while Aaron Cruden of the Chiefs is equal with the Waratahs’ Bernard Foley in third place with the 14 points they scored over the weekend.
Cheetahs pivot Johan Goosen contributed 12 point in his side’s 27-20 defeat of the Sharks, who are the only South African team that will be contesting the playoffs.
Boshoff’s five penalty conversions were also the most of the weekend in that category and he is followed by Cruden, who kicked four penalty goals.
Sharks fullback SP Marais demonstrated his ability with the ball in hand as he topped the Carries
and Metres Run
Marais made the most ground over the weekend with the 160 metres he covered in his side’s match against the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein.
He tops the Carries
category alongside Luke Jones of the Rebels with the 16 they made apiece in their respective matches.
Sharks scrumhalf Cobus Reinach
beat nine defenders on Saturday, to top the Defenders Beaten
bracket, with the Reds’ Samu Kerevi behind him with eight.
Also to feature among the top-five in the stats are Warwick Tecklenburg of the Lions and the Bulls’ Jono Ross
, who made the fourth and fifth most tackles with 15 and 14 respectively.
Tecklenburg won the second most turnovers, one less than Deon Fourie of the Stormers, who leads the Turnovers Won
category with his four turnovers.
South African players have dominated the lineout stats throughout the season and did so again the past weekend.
The Cheetahs’ Lood de Jager and Stephan Lewies
are among the top-five in the Lineouts won on own Throw
stats with the six they won over the weekend.
Bulls and Springbok stalwart Victor Matfield
demonstrated why he remains one of the best lineouts exponents in the word as he stole the most lineouts.
He stole three of the Stormers’ lineout throws with team-mate taking the second most with the two he pinched on Saturday. Round-18 stats: Points:
1. Marnitz Boshoff (Lions) – 19 points
2. Jayden Hayward (Force) – 15 points
3. Aaron Cruden (Chiefs) – 14 points
4. Bernard Foley (Waratahs) – 14 points
5. Johan Goosen (Cheetahs) – 12 points Penalty Goals:
1. Marnitz Boshoff (Lions) – 5
2. Aaron Cruden (Chiefs) – 4
3. Beauden Barrett (Hurricanes) – 3
4. Jayden Hayward (Force) – 3
5. Kurt Coleman (Stormers) – 3 Metres Run:
1. SP Marais (Sharks) – 160m
2. Bernard Foley (Waratahs) – 120m
3. Coenie van Wyk (Lions) – 118m
4. Tom English (Rebels) – 118m
5. Alofa Alofa (Waratahs) – 115m Carries:
1. Luke Jones (Rebels) – 16
2. SP Marais (Sharks) – 16
3. Coenie van Wyk (Lions) – 14
4. Dane Haylett-Petty (Force) – 14
5. Kurtley Beale (Waratahs) – 14 Defenders Beaten:
1. Cobus Reinach
(Sharks) – 9
2. Samu Kerevi (Reds) – 8
3. Aaron Cruden (Chiefs) – 7
4. Ardie Savea (Hurricanes) – 5
5. Nemani Nadolo (Crusaders) – 5 Tackles:
1. Curtis Browning (Reds) – 21
2. Jordan Taufua (Crusaders) – 18
3. Matt Todd (Crusaders) – 15
4. Warwick Tecklenburg (Lions) – 15
5. Jono Ross
(Bulls) – 14 Turnovers Won:
1. Deon Fourie (Stormers) – 4
2. Warwick Tecklenburg (Lions) – 3
3. Ardie Savea (Hurricanes) – 2
4. Ben Lucas (Reds) – 2
5. Brodie Retallick (Chiefs) – 2 Linenouts Won on own Throw:
1. Rob Simmons (Reds) – 8
2. Brodie Retallick (Chiefs) – 6
- Jeremy Thrush (Hurricanes) – 6
- Lood de Jager (Cheetahs) – 6
- Patrick Tuipulotu (Blues) – 6
- Stephan Lewies
(Sharks) – 6 Lineouts Stolen:
1. Victor Matfield
(Bulls) – 3
2. Paul Willemse
(Bulls) – 2
3. Stephan Lewies
(Sharks) – 2
4. Dominic Bird (Crusaders) – 1
5. Franco van der Merwe (Lions) – 1
6. Francois Uys (Cheetahs) – 1