Vodacom Super Rugby
SARU delays 'S16' presentation
Cape Town - The South African Rugby Union (SARU) has written to its SANZAR partners, Australia and New Zealand, requesting a re-scheduling of a planned presentation on an expansion of Super Rugby to 16 teams in 2013.
The request was made on Wednesday following a meeting of the franchise representatives with SARU’s SANZAR delegates, Mark Alexander (deputy president) and Jurie Roux
The request was made to allow time to prepare additional options. Four representatives of the six franchises were due to travel to Australasia this weekend.
Alexander and Roux will continue with their scheduled SANZAR meetings as well as discuss with Australia and New Zealand the principles of expansion in advance of the formal presentation.
“This is an important issue for South African rugby and we need to ensure that we have covered all bases,” said Roux.
“We have two options for our partners to consider but are completing work on a further two. If that takes a week or two more then we’re happy to take that time.”
Roux said that no new date had been set but that an announcement would be made in due course.