Vodacom Super Rugby
SANZAR rule upsets Coetzee
Allister Coetzee (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - Stormers coach Allister Coetzee feels SANZAR should change its regulation to allow coaches to field their strongest possible team in the playoffs.
A current regulation from SANZAR states that no player registered to a team after April 1 is allowed to participate in the playoff phase of the competition. Teams are only allowed to register 35 players at the start of the season.
This means the Stormers won't be able to pick new Canadian recruit, Jebb Sinclair, should they make the playoffs.
Coetzee last week acquired Sinclair's services after a spate of injuries at loose forward.
Schalk Burger, Duane Vermeulen and Nick Koster all suffered knee injuries which won't see them back in action until at least after the June Test break. And their woes were compounded when eighthman Nizaam Carr also injured his knee in the weekend's win over the Cheetahs. He will be out for the rest of the season.
Sinclair impressed the Stormers brains trust on Saturday and Coetzee told Die Burger
SANZAR's ruling for the playoffs is unfair.
"I think more players should be made available than the 35 allowed, especially if you take into consideration that there's a Test break in between as well.
"We don't know in what condition the players will return if they were picked by the Boks. I believe teams should be allowed to register 40 or 45 players," said Coetzee.
Critics will argue though that the Stormers are largely to blame for the rule change implemented this year by SANZAR. Last year they drafted in Saracens hooker Schalk Brits for their home semi-final against the Crusaders. Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder was not particularly impressed with the move
at the time but his team nevertheless won the game to reach the final.
The Stormers take on the Waratahs at Newlands on Saturday. Either Nick Fenton-Wells or Don Armand will be taken from Western Province's Vodacom Cup side to provide loose forward cover.