Get the Sport24 daily newsletter delivered to your Inbox!


    SANZAR delays appeal verdict

    2012-03-13 15:29

    Sydney - SANZAR has delayed a decision on Melbourne Rebels lock Adam Byrnes's appeal against his 10-week ban for eye-gouging.

    The southern hemisphere rugby body said on Tuesday that its appeals committee had reserved judgment after hearing evidence for five hours, adding that the decision might not be announced for several days.

    Byrnes, who played for Russia at last year's World Cup, appealed his suspension after he was found guilty of making contact with the eye area of Waratahs center Tom Carter in a Super Rugby game on March 2.

    Byrnes and the Rebels said the contact was "absolutely accidental and without intent."

    The Waratahs won the match 35-19.

    Read More On:  super 15 adam byrnes

    What To Read Next

    Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

    Comment on this story
    Comments have been closed for this article.
    Live Video Streaming
    Video Highlights
    Sport Talk


    No results are available

    Opinion Poll

    Which South African franchise stands the best chance of winning this year's Super Rugby title?

    The ultimate Super Rugby quiz!

    There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.