LIVE

    Rebels fight for overseas deal

    2012-04-11 07:49
    Melbourne - The Melbourne Rebels and the Australian Rugby Union are at loggerheads as to who the Super Rugby franchise can recruit to ease its front-row crisis.

    The ARU has told the Rebels they must look to local ranks to solve their problems at tight-head prop, but the Rebels in turn have refused to rule out recruiting a foreign player and have invited New Zealander Arden David-Perrot to trial for a short-term contract.

    The Rebels had planned to choose between David-Perrot, who plays for Wellington in the New Zealand competition, and young Western Australian Oliver Hoskins, who is an Australian under-20s training squad member, after today's training session.

    But the ARU has signalled it would not approve David-Perrot's selection, with ARU high-performance general manager David Nucifora saying there were clear regulations on foreign players, to protect and develop Australian talent.

    The Rebels have been forced to scour rugby ranks for tight-head props after Laurie Weeks suffered a dislocated shoulder during the 34-23 win over the Blues last Thursday. Former Wallaby Rodney Blake can play both sides of the scrum and will start against the Brumbies on Saturday but the problems for the Rebels would start if Blake got injured.

    The Rebels third tighthead prop, emerging talent Paul Alo-Emile, has been sidelined with an ankle injury since the first pre-season trial. Without a recognised tight-head prop, the Rebels could be forced into uncontested scrums against the Brumbies.

    Rebels CEO Steve Boland denied ARU rules stipulated the replacement must be from Australian ranks. ''If they can send me a copy of where it says that I'll greatly appreciate it,'' Boland said.

    ''We're having ongoing discussions about the eligibility of the players in this circumstance because the regulations are not clear … we had a conversation with the ARU over the weekend and we had another [yesterday]Tuesday. Those discussions are not over.''

    Nucifora said the Australian governing body's stance had been made clear to Boland. ''I'm not quite sure what's caused the confusion,'' Nucifora said. ''If we opened up the playing ranks without a tight set of protocals, then Australian rugby is potentially in a lot of trouble in a very short period of time.

    ''We have to be developing our own Australian eligible players to become Wallabies, so rules are there for a very good reason.''


    Read More On:  super 15 rugby

    Read News24’s Comments Policy

    24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

    Comment on this story
    0 comments
    Add your comment
    Comment 0 characters remaining
    Live Video Streaming
    • Blitz
      Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
    • SS1
      Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
    • SS2
      Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
    • SS3
      Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
    Video Highlights
    Sport Talk
    /Sport

    Fixtures

    27 March 2015
    • Hurricanes v Rebels, Westpac Stadium 08:35
    • Reds v Lions, Suncorp Stadium 11:00
    28 March 2015
    • Chiefs v Cheetahs, Waikato Stadium 05:30
    • Highlanders v Stormers, Forsyth Barr Stadium 08:35
    • Waratahs v Blues, Allianz Stadium 10:40
    • Sharks v Force, Growthpoint Kings Park 17:05
    • Bulls v Crusaders, Loftus Versfeld 19:10
    03 April 2015
    • Hurricanes v Stormers, Westpac Stadium 09:35
    • Rebels v Reds, AAMI Park 11:40

    Logs

    Rank Team P W Pts

    Opinion Poll

    Sharks centre Frans Steyn has been found NOT GUILTY of a dangerous tip-tackle against the Chiefs. Your thoughts?

    Monday Quiz Madness!

    TAKE THE QUIZ
    There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.