Cape Town - Bulls flyhalf Handré Pollard may have only started in two Super Rugby matches but he has shown signs that he could live up to expectations.
The 20-year-old was on song with his deft place-kicking in his side’s 28-12 victory over the Stormers in Pretoria on Saturday.
His boot launched him into the leading ranks of the Vodacom Rugby Stats App for the past weekend’s action.
On the Round-13 stats, Pollard is tied in second place with the Highlanders’ Beauden Barrett in the points category with both players scoring 20 points for their teams, with Colin Slade of the Crusaders leading with 27.
Pollard converted a try and five penalties, while he also added a drop goal to his tally over the weekend.
He also shares the second spot with Slade for penalty conversions which is two more than the Cell C Sharks’ Francois Steyn who is in fifth place with his three penalty goals.
The South African players completely dominated the Carries
stats over the weekend with the Brumbies’ Jesse Mogg, who leads with 20, the only foreign player in the top 10.
He is followed by Boom Prinsloo (Cheetahs), Steyn, Jaco Kriel (Lions) who all made 17 carries, while Heinrich Brüssow (Cheetahs) and Jean Deysel
(Sharks) both made 15.
The Sharks’ Cobus Reinach
made 14 carries and is followed by Coenie Oosthuizen
(Cheetahs), Derick Minnie (Lions) and Lwazi Mvovo
(Sharks) all equal on 13.
Reinach and Mvovo’s names also turn up in the Defenders Beaten
stats with the former sitting in second place with five, while the latter beat four. They are joined in the top-five by Cheetahs captain Adriaan Strauss
, who is in fifth place by beating three defenders.
stats are also dominated by South African players with Lions lock Martin Muller leading the stats in terms of winning lineouts on his team’s own throw with the 14 he took over the weekend.
He was followed by the Bulls’ Paul Willemse
, who took nine balls on his own throw, while Francois Uys (Cheetahs), Stephan Lewies
(Sharks) and Teboho Mohoje (Cheetahs) make up the rest of the top-five.
Know your rugby and go to vodacom.co.za/rugby
to download the App and follow the SuperGees at @vodacomrugga. Round-13 Stats: Points:
1. Colin Slade (Crusaders) – 27
2. Beauden Barrett (Highlanders) – 20
2. Handré Pollard (Bulls) – 20
3. Bernard Foley (Waratahs) – 19
4. Sias Ebersohn (Force) – 13
5. Gareth Anscombe (Chiefs) – 12 Penalty Goals:
1. Beauden Barrett (Highlanders) – 6
2. Colin Slade (Crusaders) – 5
3. Handre Pollard (Bulls) – 5
4. Christian Lealiifano (Brumbies) – 3
5. Francois Steyn (Sharks) - 3 Carries:
1. Jesse Mogg (Brumbies) – 20
2. Boom Prinsloo (Cheetahs) – 17
3. Francois Steyn (Sharks) – 17
4. Jaco Kriel (Lions) – 17
5. Heinrich Brusssow (Cheetahs) – 15
6. Jean Deysel
(Sharks) – 15
7. Cobus Reinach
(Sharks) - 14
8. Coenie Oosthuizen
(Cheetahs) - 13
9. Derick Minnie (Lions) - 13
10. Lwazi Mvovo
(Sharks) – 13 Defenders Beaten:
1. Ben Smith (Highlanders) – 7
2. Cobus Reinach
(Sharks) – 5
3. Lwazi Mvovo
(Sharks) – 4
4. Ma’a Nonu (Blues) – 4
5. Adriaan Strauss
(Cheetahs) – 3 Lineouts won on own throw:
1. Martin Muller (Lions) – 14
2. Paul Willemse
(Bulls) – 9
3. Francois Uys (Cheetahs) – 6
4. Stephan Lewies
(Sharks) – 5
5. Teboho Mohoje (Cheetahs) – 5