Cape Town - It is a rare sight for props to get onto the score sheet and even a greater feat when they go over the whitewash more than once in a match.
Stormers front-ranker Frans
Malherbe scored a brace over the weekend in his side’s entertaining encounter against the Highlanders to top the tries category on the Vodacom Rugby Stats App for Round 12 of the 2014 Vodacom Super Rugby competition.
And while Malherbe came painstakingly close to a hat-trick of tries, his fellow prop team-mate Oliver Kebble added another try for the heavies as the Stormers won 29-28.
The top five of the weekend’s tries stats included another prop in the Reds’ Ben Daley.
Cell C Sharks flyhalf Frans Steyn
converted five penalty conversions, the second most behind Colin Slade of the Crusaders, which also earned him a place among the top-five points scorers of the weekend.
Springbok flyer and Sharks wing JP Pietersen
was the top South African player in the Defenders Beaten category.
The Blues’ Charles Piutau and Jason Woodward of the Rebels were tied on six, while Pietersen beat five defenders along with Johnny McNicholl (Crusaders) and Ryan Crotty (Crusaders).
South African players continue to dominate the breakdowns and the lineouts with Sharks stalwart Keegan Daniel
leading the Turnovers Won bracket with his four steals.
The Cheetahs’ Jean Cook
and Lions captain Warren Whiteley also earned themselves a place among the top-five in terms of turnovers won on three.
Stormers lock Michael Rhodes
was the leading man in terms of winning lineouts on his team’s own throw with the eight he took over the weekend. He also made 17 carries over the weekend for a fourth place on the carries stats. He was followed by the Cheetahs’ Teboho Mohoje, who is tied on six with Bulls stalwart Victor Matfield
, while Grant Hattingh
, also of the Bulls took five.
Sharks lock Stephan Lewies
headed the lineouts stolen bracket with his two over the weekend, while the rest of the top five made one apiece.
Know your rugby and go to vodacom.co.za/rugby to download the App and follow the SuperGees at @vodacomrugga.Round-12 stats:Tries:
Malherbe (Stormers) – 2
2. Aaron Smith (Highlanders) – 1
3. Beauden Barrett (Hurricanes) – 1
4. Ben Daley (Reds) – 1
5. Ben Smith (Highlanders) – 1Penalty Goals:
1. Colin Slade (Crusaders) – 7
2. Francois Steyn
(Sharks) – 5
3. Beauden Barrett (Highlanders) – 3
4. Jason Woodward (Rebels) – 3
5. Simon Hickey (Blues) – 3Defenders Beaten:
1. Charles Piutau (Blues) – 6
2. Jason Woodward (Rebels) – 6
3. JP Pietersen
(Sharks) – 5
4. Johnny McNicholl (Crusaders) – 5
5. Ryan Crotty (Crusaders) – 5Carries:
1. Jake Schatz (Reds) – 21
2. Israel Dagg (Crusaders) – 19
3. Tamati Ellison (Rebels) – 19
4. Michael Rhodes
(Stormers) – 17
5. Mike Harris (Reds) - 16Tackles:
1. Nasi Manu (Highlanders) – 21
2. Richie McCaw (Crusaders) – 20
3. Brendon O’Connor (Blues) – 19
4. Michael Hooper (Waratahs) – 17
5. Jean Deysel
(Sharks) – 16Turnovers Won:
1. Keegan Daniel
(Sharks) – 4
2. Richard Buckman (Highlanders) – 4
3. Scott Fuglistaller (Rebels) – 4
4. Jean Cook
(Cheetahs) – 3
5. Warren Whiteley (Lions) – 3Lineouts won on own throw:
1. Michael Rhodes
(Stormers) – 8
2. Teboho Mohoje (Cheetahs) – 6
3. Victor Matfield
(Bulls) – 6
4. Grant Hattingh
(Bulls) – 5
5. Ben Mowen (Brumbies) – 4Lineouts stolen:
1. Stephan Lewies
(Sharks) – 2
2. Dominic Bird (Crusaders) – 1
3. Jacques du Plessis (Bulls) – 1
4. Jeff Allen (Highlanders) – 1
5. Jeremy Thrush (Highlanders) - 1