Etzebeth, Burger boost for Stormers
Cape Town - Locks Jean Kleyn and Eben Etzebeth are both available for the Stormers, as the unbeaten men from Cape Town get set to host the Sharks at Newlands on Saturday (19:10 kick-off).
There are new injury concerns, however, in the shape of Michael Rhodes, Ruan Botha and Jurie van Vuuren, following Saturday’s hard-fought 22-19 Super Rugby win over the Lions in Johannesburg.
In better news, experienced Springbok flank Schalk Burger is expected back from Japan on Tuesday.
According to Stormers coach Allister Coetzee, Burger is fresh after featuring off the bench of late for his Japanese club, but a full call on his participation will be made once the Stormers’ medical staff have had a look at him after he arrives at the HPC.
There was no team training on Monday, after 13 Stormers players stayed behind for a planned Springbok training camp in Johannesburg.
The full Stormers injury report on Monday - via the Stormers’ official website:
- Locks Jean Kleyn (hamstring) and Eben Etzebeth (chest) are both back in the selection mix after coming through training last week.
- Flank Michael Rhodes took a big blow to his knee against the Lions. It could be bone bruising, or perhaps more, but he will undergo a scan when he rejoins the team. An update on his injury will be given at Thursday’s team announcement.
- Lock Ruan Botha took a knock to his head against the Lions and will undergo concussion testing.
- Lock Jurie van Vuuren suffered a shoulder injury on Saturday (and left the field in the 18th minute). He will be out of action for at least 21 days and possibly more.
- Wing Kobus van Wyk will be assessed later this week after missing the first three matches of the season with a calf-muscle injury.