Cape Town - Drop goals proved to be the weapons of choice in the South African Super Rugby derby upsets while Lions pivot Marnitz Boshoff was pronounced as the undisputed points machine of the past weekend.
Boshoff used the drop goal to great effect in his side’s historic 32-21 victory over the Bulls at Ellis Park in Johannesburg.
He contributed 22 points in the match, which included two drop goals, two conversions and four penalty conversions.
His pin-point kicking saw him dominating the Points
and Drop Goals
categories on the Vodacom Rugby Stats App
, while he took a share of the top spot in terms of Penalties
Boshoff’s two drop goals in the match launched him into second place in the history of the competition as he now boasts with a total of eight - one more than the amount Louis Koen
slotted in the 2003 season.
He is three drop goals away from equaling Springbok stalwart Morné Steyn’s record he set in the 2009 season.
While Boshoff narrowly missed out on a spot in the Springboks squad which was named last Saturday, he was called up on Monday after Damian de Allende had to pull out
with a knee injury.
The only other drop goal of the weekend came from the boot of Stormers fullback Jaco Taute, who clinched an upset 21-19 victory over the Cell C Sharks at the death.
In the Points
category Boshoff is followed by Bernard Foley of the Waratahs with his 20 points, while the Crusaders’ Colin Slade (15) and the Sharks’ Frans Steyn
(14) were in third and fourth place respectively.
Ihaia West of the Blues and Stormers flyhalf Kurt Coleman share the fifth place with 12 points apiece.
South African players topped the Penalty Goals
category with Steyn, Boshoff and Coleman leading with the four they each converted over the weekend.
Lions fullback Coenie van Wyk topped the Defenders Beaten
bracket along with Israel Folau of the Waratahs with seven apiece, while Sharks lock Stephan Lewies
and the Reds’ James Horwill dominated the Lineouts-won-on-own-throw
stats also with seven each. Round-16 Stats: Points:
1. Marnitz Boshoff (Lions) – 22
2. Bernard Foley (Waratahs) – 20
3. Colin Slade (Crusaders) – 15
4. Frans Steyn
(Sharks) – 14
5. Ihaia West (Blues) – 12
5. Kurt Coleman (Stormers) - 12 Penalty Goals:
1. Frans Steyn
(Sharks) – 4
1. Kurt Coleman (Stormers) – 4
1. Marnitz Boshoff (Lions) – 4
2. Bernard Foley (Waratahs) – 3
2. Colin Slade (Crusaders) – 3
2. Jacques-Louis Potgieter (Bulls) – 3 Drop goals:
1. Marnitz Boshoff (Lions) – 2 (8)
2. Jaco Taute (Stormers) – 1 Defenders Beaten:
1. Coenie van Wyk (Lions) – 7
2. Israel Folau (Waratahs) – 7
3. Dwayne Sweeney (Chiefs) – 6
4. Mike Harris (Reds) – 6
5. Jason Woodward (Rebels) - 5 Lineouts won on own throw:
1. Stephan Lewies
(Sharks) – 7
2. James Horwill (Reds) – 7
3. Angus Cottrell (Force) – 5
- Kieran Read (Crusaders) – 5
- Rob Simmons (Reds) – 5
4. Franco Mostert (Lions) – 4