Blues hold off Hurricanes
Garrin Lambley - Sport24 Editor
Cape Town - The Blues have held off the Hurricanes in a hard-fought New Zealand Super Rugby derby in Wellington on Saturday.
The Blues won 34-20 after trailling 13-11 at half-time.
The Blues scored four tries through wing Frank Halai (2), fullback Charles Piutau and centre Rene Ranger. Scrumhalf Piri Weepu was on target with a conversion and four penalties.
The Hurricanes replied with a try by wing Julian Savea and a controversial penalty try. Flyhalf Beauden Barrett added both conversions as well as two penalties.
The Blues picked up a full-house of five points for their victory to join the Chiefs atop the New Zealand Conference, while the Hurricanes left empty-handed.
In next weekend's Round 3 action, the Blues host the Crusaders in Auckland, while the Hurricanes travel to Brisbane to face the Reds.Teams:Hurricanes:
15. Andre Taylor, 14. Alapati Leiua, 13. Conrad
Smith (captain), 12. Tim Bateman, 11. Julian Savea, 10. Beauden Barrett,
9. TJ Perenara, 8. Brad Shields, 7. Karl Lowe, 6. Victor Vito, 5. Jason
Eaton, 4. Jeremy Thrush, 3. Ben May, 2. Dane Coles, 1. Ben Franks
16. Ash Dixon, 17. Reggie Goodes, 18. Mark Reddish, 19. Faifili Levave,
20. Chris Smylie, 21. James Marshall, 22. Reynold Lee-LoBlues:
Charles Piutau, 14. Frank Halai, 13. Rene Ranger, 12. Francis Saili,
11. George Moala, 10. Chris Noakes, 9. Piri Weepu, 8. Peter Saili, 7.
Luke Braid, 6. Steven Luatua, 5. Ali Williams (captain), 4. Culum
Retallick, 3. Charlie Faumuina, 2. James Parsons, 1. Tom McCartney
16. Quentin MacDonald, 17. Angus Ta'avao, 18. Liaki Moli, 19. Brendon
O'Connor, 20. Bryn Hall, 21. Baden Kerr, 22. Jackson Willison