Rugby

Southern Kings in limbo

2012-03-29 14:29
Andy Colquhoun (Gallo)
Johannesburg - With a number of pressing issues facing South African rugby, it is unlikely that the SA Rugby Union (SARU) will resolve two of the most important concerns at its annual general meeting in Cape Town on Friday.

The participation of the Southern Kings and a proposed Super Rugby expansion are hanging in limbo after an expected meeting with SANZAR partners Australia and New Zealand was rescheduled indefinitely earlier this month.

Time is also quickly running out to appoint Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer’s assistant coaches, with only two months left to prepare for a three-test series against England in June.

Rather than fast-tracking these issues, SARU is expected to present its financial statements on Friday and to vote on two vacant positions on the executive committee.

Gary Meyer and Pat Kuhn’s two year stints on the committee have expired and they are standing for another four years, according to SARU's general manager of communications Andy Colquhoun.

"There are four other candidates," Colquhoun said.

They were Jan Marais, former chairman of the council, Peter Hassard, former president of KwaZulu-Natal, Schalk Liebenberg, and Western Province president Tobie Titus.

Colquhoun said there would also be some constitutional amendments up for discussion.

A delegation was formed during a meeting between SARU’s leadership and franchises in February to argue for the expansion of the Super Rugby competition to 16 teams to accommodate all six South African franchises, including the Kings.

Representatives of the country's Super Rugby franchises were expected to accompany SARU president Oregan Hoskins, deputy president Mark Alexander, and chief executive Jurie Roux to a Sanzar meeting on March 17.

However, SARU announced shortly before the trip that it had written to Australia and New Zealand, requesting a re-scheduling of the planned meeting.

"The request was made to allow time to prepare additional options," SARU said at the time.

"Alexander and Roux will continue with their scheduled SANZAR meetings as well as discuss with Australia and New Zealand the principles of expansion in advance of the formal presentation.

"We have two options for our partners to consider but are completing work on a further two.

"If that takes a week or two more then we’re happy to take that time," it said.

Read more on:    saru  |  rugby
NEXT ON SPORT24X

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
31 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 

Quiz: Test your Rio Olympics memory!

Think you know what went on at the Rio Olympics? Prove it by tackling Sport24's ridiculously impossible yet highly addictive post-Games quiz!

 
 

Rio Olympics

GALLERY: SA's Rio Olympic medallists
As it happened: Rio Olympics - Day 17
Selecting 6 numbers turned Britain into Olympic superpower
Caster cranks up the heat in Rio semi
 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

Follow all the action from the 2016 Rio Olympics. The highs, the lows, the tears, the smiles as the world's greatest athletes compete for gold, silver and bronze.

Latest blogs
Vote

The Kings will play this year's Currie Cup in the "B" First Division. How will this impact their Super Rugby participation next year?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.