Scotland shock Wallabies

2012-06-05 13:19
David Pocock (File)
Newcastle - Flyhalf Greig Laidlaw kicked a penalty after the full-time siren to give Six Nations wooden spooners Scotland a stunning 9-6 win over Australia at stormy Newcastle on Tuesday.

It was Scotland's first win in Australia for 30 years since their 12-7 victory at Brisbane's Ballymore stadium in 1982.

The Scots humbled the Wallabies for the second time in three years with a gutsy defensive display in the second half to pull off a win in atrocious wet and windy conditions.

Scotland last rocked the Wallabies in their 9-8 upset at Murrayfield in November 2009 to end a 16-game losing run against Australia.

Laidlaw kicked the Scots to victory in Australia with three penalty goals from four shots while debutant centre Mike Harris landed two of his four kicks in the try-less arm wrestle.

It looked as though Scotland were going to settle for a 6-6 draw until they earned a scrum penalty in front of Australia's posts for Laidlaw to slot home to wild jubilation among the Scottish players.

Australia laid siege to the Scottish try-line in the second half but the Scots held firm with resolute defence to deny the Wallabies the game-breaking try.

It was another low point for the Wallabies, who lost to Samoa 32-23 in their first international last season.

The Scots had conducive atrocious wet conditions and ran with a stiff wind in the opening half.

The Wallabies were under early pressure and Scotland dominated possession and territory with Laidlaw putting them ahead with two penalties inside the opening 28 minutes.

But Australia's forwards began to control the ball and were rewarded after 12 phases inside Scotland's quarter to receive a penalty for off-side.

Harris, with Berrick Barnes holding the ball to prevent it from toppling off the kicking tee, landed the penalty to reduce Scotland's lead to three points after 33 minutes.

The Wallabies did well to go in at half-time only down by three after running into the teeth of a gale.

Harris levelled the scores three minutes after the interval with his second penalty, as the Australians sought to take full advantage of the following wind.

Rob Simmons, who replaced injured lock Sitaleki Timani, went over the Scottish try-line in the 56th minute but the video referee ruled replays were inconclusive and no try was awarded.

The Australian forwards kept pummelling away at the line but the Scots defence held firm against the mounting weight of possession against them.

So frustrated were the Wallabies in their efforts to break down the resolute Scotland defence that Barnes had a drop goal attempt with seven minutes left but it was wide.

South African referee Jaco Peyper penalised Wallabies' prop James Slipper for losing the bind in a collapsed scrum and Laidlaw kicked Scotland to a famous victory.

Read more on:    australia  |  scotland  |  rugby

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership nearing its conclusion, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Bidvest Wits hold them off? A bridge too far for new boys Cape Town City FC? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Which player in the 31-man Springbok squad to face France can consider himself most fortunate?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.