SARU mum on Kings' future

2012-07-17 12:04
Jurie Roux (Gallo)
Johannesburg - The SA Rugby Union (SARU) is expected to decide on next season's Super Rugby conference structure at a rescheduled general council meeting on August 16.

SARU said on Tuesday it would not comment on media reports suggesting the original decision to hand the Southern Kings a spot in next year's competition had been scrapped.

"This is clearly an important issue of wide interest," SARU CEO Jurie Roux said in a statement.

"But the decision rests with the general council and until they have made that decision it serves no purpose to become involved in speculation on any scenarios."

Roux said unsourced reports on the Kings' exclusion were "purely speculative".

Eastern Province rugby president Cheeky Watson denied earlier in the week that the Kings had agreed to accept money in exchange for their spot in the 2013 SA conference of the cross-continental franchise competition.

"The report that we have agreed to accept R40 million and will forgo our right to inclusion in the Super Rugby competition until 2016 is news to me," Watson said in a statement.

"We have said that we are prepared to negotiate the best way for the Southern Kings to enter the Super Rugby competition, but these details have never been on the table."

A unanimous decision was taken by all 14 provinces at a SARU general meeting in January to award the Kings one of five available places in next season's SA conference.

Sanzar, which organises the Super Rugby competition, confirmed later there would be no place for a sixth team in the 2013 season, and if Saru included the Kings, they would need to make a space available within their own conference.

Among the proposals to accommodate the Eastern Cape union include a promotion/relegation format, with the bottom team in the 2012 competition, the Lions, dropping out.

Acting Lions CEO Ruben Moggee called earlier this month for the SARU general council to find a solution. He said they had already weighed up other options in case they were relegated from Super Rugby.

"It is an untenable situation from the timing perspective," Moggee said.

"We find ourselves in mid-July and the decision is not clear yet. We are continuing to contract and recruit players for next year and looking at our juniors.

"We've not given up, so looking at where we want to be. We want to have a competitive squad."

Read more on:    southern kings  |  rugby


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk
Most Read


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

Boks won't be tired, assures Louw
Mumm wary of depleted Welsh
Lack of experience costs England dear
Jean rejoins Springbok camp
/World Cup
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


Take a photographical trip down memory lane and remind yourself of how the Springboks fared in their five previous Rugby World Cup campaigns. In addition, pick your all-time Springbok Rugby World Cup Dream Team and you could win R3 000!

Latest blogs

The Springboks open their 2015 Rugby World Cup campaign against Japan. How do you see the match ending?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.