Meyer moves ahead of Mallett
Heyneke Meyer (Gallo Images)
See pics of the Boks training ahead of their Test against the All Blacks.
Cape Town - Following his victory over Australia
in Brisbane, Heyneke Meyer's Springbok win-record is the second best in the modern era. VIDEO: Heyneke Meyer's comical coaches box antics!
Following a shaky start to his Springbok coaching career in 2012, Heyneke Meyer's stocks have soared, with his Springbok team currently enjoying a run of nine consecutive victories.
But can Meyer make it the perfect 10 against the All Blacks in Auckland this weekend?
Last weekend, Meyer surpassed Nick Mallett as the second most successful coach in Springbok history in terms of winning percentage.
However, to hold onto his No 2 spot he will have to beat the All Blacks, something he has been unable to do so far as Springbok coach, and he will have to beat them on their own soil.
In his post-match analysis after the Springboks beat the Wallabies, Mallett reserved special
praise for Meyer, and said full credit for the win should go to the
current coaching team.
The Springboks have only won two out of their past 10 matches against the All Blacks in New Zealand, but a win against the All Blacks this weekend could cement Meyer's place in Springbok rugby folklore and silence what few doubters remain.
The Test at Eden Park will kick-off at 09:35 SA time.
Best winning percentages of Bok coaches in the modern era:
1. Kitch Christie (1994–1996) 14 wins from 14 - 100%
2. Heyneke Meyer (2012–present) 13 wins from 18 - 72%
3. Nick Mallett (1997–2000) - 27 wins from 38 - 71%
4. Jake White (2004-2007) - 36 wins from 54 - 67%
5. Peter de Villiers (2008–2011) - 30 win from 48 - 62%
6. Andre Markgraaff (1996) - 8 wins from 13 - 61%Is Meyer's masterplan finally starting to reap its rewards? (Gallo Images)