O'Connor turns back on Oz

2013-10-23 07:43
James O'Connor (Gallo)

Sydney - Fallen Wallaby James O'Connor on Wednesday said he plans to play in England and not take up a Super Rugby contract with Perth-based Force.

O'Connor, one of the sport's top talents, was dumped from the national team in September and had his contract torn up by the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) earlier this month for repeated discipline breaches.

These culminated in the player being preventing from taking a flight because he was allegedly drunk, hours after Australia beat Argentina in a Rugby Championship match in Perth.

Despite Wallaby coach Ewen McKenzie saying he was willing to help O'Connor rehabilitate his career and Force offering him a lifeline when no other clubs were interested, the 23-year-old utility back has opted to move overseas.

"We have been informed by James directly that he intends to continue his playing career in Europe for the time being," RugbyWA chief Mark Sinderberry said in a statement.

"The Force has laid strong foundations of standards and values - particularly around earning respect - and our discussions with James included on-and off-field programmes that we believed could assist him in becoming the player he aspires to be and to develop himself as a person.

"James has made the decision that is right for him at this point in his playing career and the club remains open to recommencing these discussions again in the future if James wishes to return to Australian rugby."

O'Connor, who has played 44 Tests, admitted this month that he "needs to earn back a lot of respect".

He said on Wednesday he was in talks with several English clubs about a move "for a few months", but was eyeing a return to Force in the future.

"I am in final discussions with several clubs and will announce the new partnership in coming days," he told reporters.

"I believe the move, for a few months, will be beneficial for me to develop in a different environment and help me be the best rugby player and person that I can be."

O'Connor said his management was continuing discussions with the Force about a future deal.

"Both (coach) Michael Foley and (chief executive) Mark Sinderberry have been great supporters of mine and I greatly appreciate it," he said.

"The past few weeks have given me an opportunity to look at all aspects of my life both professionally and personally," he said.

"I want to give myself every opportunity to get back into the Wallabies side and to represent Australia in the 2015 World Cup."

Read more on:    wallabies  |  james o'connor  |  rugby

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Did Stormers and Springboks lock Pieter-Steph du Toit deserve to be named SA Rugby Player of the Year?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.