Italy confirm Mallett exit

2011-04-23 19:55
Nick Mallett (File)

Rome - The Italian Rugby Federation (FIR) on Saturday confirmed that South African coach Nick Mallett will not be asked to continue in his role beyond the World Cup in New Zealand in September and October.

Mallett took over the role from Frenchman Pierre Berbizier following the last World Cup in France in 2007, being handed a four-year deal.

But rumours earlier this year suggested that Perpignan coach Jacques Brunel was being lined up to take over from Mallett.

And although the FIR didn't reveal who Mallett's successor will be, they did put an end to the speculation over the South African's future.

"The federation has taken the decision not to continue the relationship with Nick Mallett beyond the engagement in the autumn," said an FIR statement.

"(It is) due to previous experience of how a relationship between a coach and the national team that lasts more than four years might not produce the expected results."

Italy won just three out of 20 Six Nations matches under Mallett including the historic 22-21 victory at home to France this season.

His record was marginally better than Italy's Six Nations record before he arrived - five wins and one draw in 40 matches - but that has not proved enough for the Federation.

Mallett also oversaw November test victories against Fiji and Samoa in the last two years while his tourists beat Argentina in Cordoba in June 2008.

Back in January Brunel told his Perpignan players he will be leaving at the end of the season, despite having a contract that runs to June 2012.

"I've thought about it for many weeks but this Italian offer is unique at my age," the 57-year-old said at the time.

"It will certainly be the last that I can take on. I want to seize this opportunity."

However, Brunel then seemed to take a backwards step by claiming he had not actually been offered the job.

"I'm in the position of someone who can apply," he said.

Read more on:    nick mallett


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

Irrespective of the result of the Springboks' bronze medal match against Argentina, should coach Heyneke Meyer be offered a contract extension?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.