ERC chief scoffs at breakaway

2013-09-23 20:00
Jean-Pierre Lux (Getty Images)

Paris - The chairman of the European Rugby Cup is adamant that proposed plans for a new breakaway tournament to challenge the Heineken Cup next season will not come to light.

The existing tournament agreement expires next summer and leading English and French clubs previously announced plans for a new tournament called the Rugby Champion's Cup.

Premiership Rugby and its French counterparts from the LNR — which oversees France's elite Top 14 league — are embroiled in an increasingly bitter row with the ERC over the Heineken Cup's future.

Premiership Rugby chief executive Mark McCafferty has said that he expects Celtic and Italian teams to join them. But ERC chairman Jean-Pierre Lux says his organization will not support such a venture and that any Anglo-French breakaway tournament requires FFR and Rugby Football Union approval since they are the sport's respective governing bodies.

"The FFR has now officially reminded the LNR that no international game involving French clubs can take place without the advance permission of the FFR. And the RFU has a similar position regarding Premiership Rugby," Lux said Monday at the launch of this season's Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup tournaments.

"I hope we will be able to reach an agreement," Lux added. "It would be disastrous to deprive so many players and fans of the opportunity of participating in such an outstanding tournament."

Premiership Rugby and LNR currently are at loggerheads with the ERC over financial, qualification and competition structure changes that they want to the existing two European tournaments.

The FFR has thrown its backing behind the ERC — seemingly ensuring at least that no French clubs would be get to play in the new breakaway tournament.

"No meeting or international competition involving French clubs can be organized outside the framework of the FFR and without its prior agreement," the FFR said in a statement. "The FFR has always been and will remain a major player in the European cups organized by ERC and backs proposals to permit the continuity and development of these."

Canadian lawyer Graeme Mew has been asked by the ERC to act a mediator in the dispute. The next round of negotiations is set for October 23, although it is not clear at this stage who will take part.

Read more on:    erc  |  heineken cup  |  rugby

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Did Stormers and Springboks lock Pieter-Steph du Toit deserve to be named SA Rugby Player of the Year?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.