ERC breakaway plan in tatters

2013-11-28 21:00
Heineken Cup (File)

Paris - An Anglo-French plan for a breakaway European rugby club competition looked in tatters on Thursday after the French clubs announced they would stick with the existing Heineken Cup following talks with the French federation (FFR).

Last week the FFR, along with the unions of Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Italy, but notably not England, said they backed the existing tournament, controlled by European Rugby Cup (ERC).

The FFR have persuaded their clubs to stay under that umbrella rather than joining the English clubs and Welsh regions in their planned "Rugby Champions Cup", which was due to swing into action next season following the English and French clubs' decision to have nothing further to do with ERC.

"The principle of a transition period of one year, which will allow as of next season the implementation of the new formats of competitions regrouping the best teams of the six countries, has been validated," the French league (LNR) said in a statement.

Last month, the four Welsh regional teams announced they were backing the Anglo-French breakaway competition, which involved a new format for both tiers of competition.

Disagreements about the Heineken Cup's qualification criteria, voting structure, income distribution and future television rights - with newcomers BT coming into conflict with long-standing Heineken partner Sky - were behind the breakaway.

The Celtic unions and ERC continued to meet and an independent mediator was brought in to try to break the logjam.

The English Premiership said it had given notice that it would leave the ERC's competition but the Celtic unions continued to talk and, even after the Welsh regions jumped ship, remained confident that the competition would continue into its 20th season next year, albeit with several changes to format.

Marcel Martin, the president of the Union of Professional Clubs (UCPR), told Reuters the new format involved a switch from 24 to 20 clubs and that distribution of revenues would be amended as per a mediators' statement in October.

International Rugby Board (IRB) CEO Brett Gosper said on Wednesday that the sport's governing body was also still confident that a compromise would be reached and was monitoring progress.

"We're optimistic," Gosper told reporters at the Twickenham announcement of 2015 World Cup ticketing policy. "There is still a process in place and we're hopeful it will end with all the top teams in one competition."

English and Scottish clubs did not take part in the first Heineken Cup in 1994/95, English clubs boycotted the 1998/99 season and there was talk of an Anglo-French boycott in 2007/08, which did not come to fruition.

Read more on:    erc  |  heineken cup  |  rugby

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

How will the Springboks fare in their three end of year tour Tests against England, Italy and Wales?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.