Corbisiero out of ABs Test

2013-11-12 22:36
Alex Corbisiero (Getty Images)

London - England face a selection headache at loosehead prop after British and Irish Lions star Alex Corbisiero was ruled out on Tuesday of Saturday's clash with world champions New Zealand because of a nagging knee injury.

The 25-year-old -- who played in two of the three Lions tests against Australia this year which saw the Lions win the series 2-1 -- has been struggling with a knee injury since he twisted it playing for his club Northampton last month.

Corbisiero -- born in New York but whose parents emigrated to England when he was four -- missed the opening test against Australia but played in the second-half of last Saturday's 24-12 win over Argentina.

Corbisiero joins fellow loosehead prop Mako Vunipola on the sidelines while there is a doubt over third choice Joe Marler, who was taken off at half-time on Saturday because of concussion.

That would leave England coach Stuart Lancaster looking at his fourth choice prop Matt Mullan as he bids to record a second successive win over the All Blacks at Twickenham.

Lancaster also lost wings Marland Yarde and Christian Wade on Tuesday, which relieved the pressure on under-fire veteran Chris Ashton.

"Alex took part in Tuesday morning's forwards training session but suffered some discomfort to his knee," Lancaster said.

"He did not train on Tuesday afternoon and will not be available for selection for the weekend.

"It's disappointing for Alex having missed last year's Six Nations because of an injury to his other knee.

"With Mako also unavailable, it's a great opportunity for Joe Marler and Matt Mullan, who has been with us all week and is raring to go in the 23."

Marler has undergone a daily increase in activity as demanded by concussion guidelines and is due to undergo a full contact session on Thursday, the day Lancaster names his team.

"Joe Marler has had no symptoms of concussion since Saturday," England team doctor Phil Batty said.

"He has passed all his cognitive function (CogSport) tests and balance assessments and completed a skills session on Tuesday without any problems."

Lancaster trimmed his squad to 23 players on Tuesday with tighthead prop, where Dan Cole and David Wilson are competing, the only likely change to the starting XV.

Read more on:    alex corbisiero  |  rugby

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Did Stormers and Springboks lock Pieter-Steph du Toit deserve to be named SA Rugby Player of the Year?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.