Melbourne - Wallaby Kurtley Beale will miss Australia's spring tour of Europe,
despite being cleared for selection by a code of conduct tribunal, the
Australian Rugby Union (ARU) said Saturday.
The tribunal found
Beale guilty of sending an offensive text message to an ARU employee and
fined him $Aus45 000 but did not suspend him, meaning he
was eligible to play.
"The Australian Rugby Union today confirmed
Wallabies head coach Michael Cheika has advised Kurtley Beale will not
join the squad for the Spring Tour," an ARU spokesman said.
time to time there are changes to personnel during tours, due to injury
or other matters, and we will advise if there are any changes to this
The Wallabies left on Friday for their five-match tour
to Europe, and Beale had been considered likely to join the team
following the tribunal's decision.
ARU chief executive Bill
Pulver said late Friday he would inform Cheika of the tribunal's
decision about Beale, admitting the player had been involved in a number
of off-field incidents.
"I don't want to speculate right now, on
the future in relation to Kurtley but I think it's fair to say he has
had a lot of indiscretions," Pulver told reporters.
Beale sent the phone message to team business manager Di Patston, who has since resigned from her position.
tribunal could not establish whether a second more offensive text
message and photograph had been sent by Beale, and he avoided suspension
and having his contract terminated.
Beale said he was innocent regarding the second text.
fall-out over the texts saw Wallaby coach Ewen McKenzie abruptly quit
last weekend and the ARU scramble to appoint Cheika, who coaches Super
Rugby's NSW Waratahs, ahead of the Europe tour.
Following Friday night's decision, Beale apologised for breaching the code of conduct.
"I'm relieved there is no termination and no suspension and I can now continue playing rugby," he said.