Sastre gets TDF green light
Madrid - Spanish cyclist Carlos Sastre, the winner of the 2008 Tour de France, confirmed on Monday that he has been given the green light to compete in this year's race.
The 35-year-old Cervelo rider had been in doubt after picking up a herniated disc after falling twice on the Giro d'Italia.
Sastre, who finished the Giro in eighth place overall, had said he would not compete in the July 3-25 Tour de France if not fully fit.
"I want to race the Tour with the desire of being able to compete at the highest level," said Sastre, who will be participating for the tenth time.
"I had problems with my back which resurfaced after falling on the Giro.
"But thanks to physiotherapists and doctors I consulted these problems disappeared and I was able to train without pain. I still have 12 days left to prepare and I'll be ready for the Tour."
Sastre and Norway's Thor Hushovd will spearhead Cervelo's bid on the Tour de France, the Swiss outfit confirmed.
Hushovd, the green jersey points champion from the 2009 Tour, suffered a broken collarbone during training early this year, but competed in last week's Tour of Switzerland.
The team include three newcomers to the Tour - Spaniard Xavier Florencio, Briton Jeremy Hunt and Ignatas Konovalovas of Lithuania.
Xavier Florencio (ESP), Volodimir Gustov (UKR), Heinrich Haussler (GER), Jeremy Hunt (GBR), Thor Hushovd (NOR), Andreas Klier (GER), Ignatas Konovalovas (LTU), Brett Lancaster (AUS), Carlos Sastre (ESP)
Replacement: Daniel Lloyd (GBR)