Contador to skip Vuelta

2011-07-26 12:12

Madrid - Spanish rider Alberto Contador said on Monday that he will not compete in this year's Spanish Vuelta after losing his Tour de France crown to Cadel Evans last week.

"Maybe next year I'll be in the Vuelta," Contador told Spanish media. "This year it does not enter into my plans. I need to rest."

The 28-year-old rider won the Giro d'Italia earlier this summer and appeared to pay the price for it as he ended the Tour almost four minutes behind Evans.

"You have to measure your strength when deciding whether to compete in a race or not because your ability to recover has its limits," the three-time Tour winner said.

Contador has not competed in the Vuelta since 2008, when he won the event.

Next Monday, the Court of Arbitration for Sport opens a three-day hearing into Contador's positive test for the banned substance clenbuterol a year ago. He faces a two-year ban if the CAS overturns the Spanish federation's decision to clear him of doping.

The Spanish Vuelta begins August 20.


  • Benny66 - 2011-07-27 11:49

    He showed in the TDF that without his diet of meat he is no force for the top riders. He is a fairly good rider but will never be a truly great champion - he just doesn't have the aptitude for it.

  • pages:
  • 1