SA men's hockey coach quits
Charlie Pereira (Photo: Terry February)
Cape Town - Head coach of the South Africa men’s hockey team, Charlie Pereira, has resigned, the SA Hockey Association said in a statement on Friday.
Curry’s Post, KwaZulu-Natal resident Pereira, a chartered accountant who played 49 Tests for SA and has his own accounting practice, has said that his stepping down was primarily due to the absence of a primary sponsor, which had limited his plans for the teams preparation ahead of the 2014 World Cup.
Pereira ends his tenure after successfully competing in the FIH World League Round 2 and semi-finals as well as the Africa Cup event , which saw the team qualify for the 2014 World Cup.
SA Hockey Association CEO Marissa Langeni said the national body would be discussing the men’s head coach position at their upcoming Executive Board meeting this weekend and will make a firm announcement thereafter.
The new coach will have to hit the ground running with a number of immediate commitments that are in place leading up to the World Cup in The Hague. The team will in February travel to Argentina for a Test Match Series, play a series vs world No 1 Germany in Cape Town in March and travel to the 23rd Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in Malaysia.
"The South African Hockey Association appreciates the good working relationship with Charlie over the last year and we as the national body wish him well in his future endeavours,” added CEO Marissa Langeni.