Sascoc didn't derail CT bid

2010-09-21 18:31

Johannesburg - South Africa's Olympic committee was not responsible for Cape Town missing a deadline to submit a bid to host the 2020 Olympics, the body's chief executive said Tuesday.

South Africa's Olympic body, Sascoc, said the city's claim that it was never advised of the July 31 deadline was untrue.

"The notion that Sascoc messed up Cape Town's Olympic bid is very far from the truth and in fact is rather an attempt from some to hide their own inefficiency," Sascoc chief executive Tubby Reddy said.

Sascoc announced Durban as the country's only candidate for the 2020 Games earlier this month, saying Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth and Cape Town failed to show interest.

But Cape Town spokesperson Pieter Cronje said his city was never made aware of any deadline in a disagreement that threatens to undermine South Africa's attempt to bring the Olympics to Africa for the first time.

Cronje said Cape Town had received an invitation from Sascoc  to bid in a letter dated July 15, but said the letter was just two paragraphs long and did not give details of the process to be followed.

"We don't deny receiving a letter," Cronje said, "but it was open-ended. There was no outlining of the process, no format and, importantly, there was no deadline. The next thing we knew Durban had been announced as Sascoc's choice."

Representatives from Johannesburg and Port Elizabeth have reportedly said they were not invited to bid.

Sascoc maintains it sent letters to all four cities, which showed July 31 as the deadline for a bid submission, and says only Durban met the deadline. It says it only received a letter of intent from the Cape Town mayor's office last week.

"It is clear that Sascoc has followed due process in the bidding process and cannot be held accountable for any misunderstanding, especially on the part of the city of Cape Town," Reddy said in Tuesday's statement.

Cape Town's second attempt to host the Olympic Games is now almost certainly doomed after Sascoc officially endorsed Durban as its candidate.

Cape Town lost out in the race to host the 2004 Olympic Games, finishing third in a vote behind winner Athens and Rome. The Italian capital is bidding for 2020.

Countries will be invited to formally submit bids to the International Olympic Committee after the IOC's next general assembly - in Durban - in July 2011. The 2020 host city will be selected by the IOC in 2013.

A South African candidate will have to be backed by the government.


  • Heather - 2010-09-21 19:07

    If Sascoc maintains it sent letters to all four cities, which showed July 31 as the deadline for a bid submission, why don't they publish the sent letters and also show proof ( ie registered mail receipt, or receipt of e-mail) to show that such letters were actually sent & received.

  • Chris - 2010-09-21 19:09

    Quite clear to see what is going on here, no international sporting events in Cape Town (Cricket and Rugby), duped out of the Olympic bid, F1 want to come to Cape Town but SA says they will rather not have F1 than have it in Cape Town. Still the only province properly run, the most beautiful city in the world and socially the most integrated and content (can also read happy) city in SA.

  • Jonathan - 2010-09-21 19:24

    Cape Town has built a stadium which it can't sustain. The odd international game (soccer or rugby) is not going to provide enough cash for it. The citizens of Cape Town will in all likelihood be called on to support the running costs. We do not need to rally behind another major sporting event to build this city. Ensuring that all citizens, regardless of race or income, have access to basic services is all that is required of the City. Once that is solved, they can build all the stadiums they want.

  • show us the letter - 2010-09-21 19:36

    if cronje is truthful he should show us the letter. he says it was open ended, well dont waste time.

  • recci - 2010-09-21 19:54

    Relieved, letter or no letter. Cape Town should prioritise more modest goals: education, heathcare, housing, emergency services etc. Sounds boring but that is the truth. We have so much under utilised sporting facilities already. I do a lot of sport myself...

  • Justdonein - 2010-09-21 20:02

    Well ANC are too scared to admit that DA has done well and that they wish to embrace the Cape's policies to other cities and promote strong Centres and develop the rural areas to accommodate the nation. The bid process was poorly done. Even Fifa demanded CT because they saw how better it was than JHB but because they had to agree on something he let JHB have the Final. CT would be a great city, I think Durban will be great too considering the stadiums, the coast line the rivers and other options for venues. CT rate payers have been saved the cost of another white elephant sale!

  • Mark - 2010-09-21 20:03

    Reddy Ramsamy etc. Process decided before it started.

  • Graham du Toit - 2010-09-21 20:23

    Cape Town - don't worry as Metro Mike Malema Sutcliffe is an ANC crony and he will get the games bid for Durban and all the white rate payers will fund the party for him and his fellow trough feeders.

  • Bob - 2010-09-21 20:45

    i think the kaapse mense where sitting on their berg and smoking lekker imported "durban" poison and being one with the mountain and missed the boat yet again ... no matter - we all understand the cpt vibe ... ;) come visit us in dbn in 2020 ---- yeah maan

  • Lux Occulta - 2010-09-21 21:02

    Thank god - Cape Town is saved from peeing more money against the wall. WE DO NOT NEED OR WANT THE OLYMPICS Give us a decent standard of life rather.

  • Roland - 2010-09-21 21:03

    There is no way that the ANC government would let CT bid for the Olympics! Evne if CT got this option, they (the ANC) would not pump any money from central into this bid. Pity, as Durban, Jhb & PE are the "pits". Durban is really not SA's 1st choice. Besides, we could not afford the SWV, now the ANC want to buden the taxpayer with another exercise that will cost us billions. BUT it would mean lots of projects for the cadres to fill their pockets with huge profits!

  • Jay - 2010-09-21 21:15

    Seems it is easy to prove disprove. Where is the letter? Also I wont put it past the powers that be to manupulate the bid to go to Durban. Lets have a look at those personal accounts and also their cars :) I smell a rat.

  • Bob Norris - 2010-09-21 21:43

    It is of little consequence whether Cape Town raed their mail or not - Durban is the only city that should be considerred for the bid due to its facilities, its incredible climate and reasonable traffic flow. The only other "city" - but it is too small, would be East London, and that would be based on weather and proximity to facilities. Oh and its total lack of good corporate governance, not to mention in fighting in the ranks of those who rule.

  • Comeau - 2010-09-21 23:36

    So much for putting our best foot forward. Happy failing! Cape Town should have been the bid city.

  • Stellenbosched - 2010-09-22 07:23

    Reddy is an Indian, so am I being cynical in assuming he is from Durban? Perhaps he is aiming for the freedom of that city. He can then write a best-seller along the lines of "Short email to Freedom". The decision to award Durban the bid by default has to be reversed, and those who manipulated have to be charged. How can they possibly think this country will get behind a Durban bid done in this way? Fools. Reddy. Unsteady. Go!!!!!

  • We don't want it!!! - 2010-09-22 13:04

    Durban needs to prioritise and forget all the illusions of grandeur at hosting the bid!! Our infrustructure needs a complete overhaul-housing/schools/and ofcourse good corporate governance all need to take precident over the Olympics!Because that commie Suttclife and cronies/did not bother to confide in with the sharks they have a Stadium that could 've housed both Rugby/Soccer-yet only soccer has moved into the stadium.This is not sustainable as the host crowd of less than 5000 spectators at soccer games is financially not viable.Durban rate payers are taxed to the hilt and are going to continue to fund Moses Mabida/Ushaka/Convention Centre etc because of our metro's poor management decisions.We're still awaiting clarification on the tender process prior to SWC developments which inevitably will unearth huge discrepencies and corruption.

  • fuzzy - 2010-09-22 14:26

    Not one city has ever shown a profit for hosting the Olympics. Lets hope that no SA City wins the hosting tights, we can afford it!

  • Paddy - 2010-09-22 16:13

    Let's forget about the Olympics and get behind another profitable event, like the World Cup, right here in SA, again.

  • jackey - 2010-09-22 17:00

    Slaap Stad....

  • pages:
  • 1
Report Comment