Racehorses were electrocuted
Fenix Two and Marching Song covered after the freak accident. (AP)
London - Accidental electrocution was to blame for the deaths of two horses in the paddock at Newbury last weekend, an investigation has found.
Two horses, Fenix Two and Marching Song, were about to be mounted by their jockeys on the grass in the parade ring on Saturday when they suddenly collapsed.
Newbury's joint managing director Stephen Higgins said: "The post-mortem results indicate accidental electrocution as the cause of death of the two horses, within the parade ring area.
"The investigation by Southern Electric Power Distribution continues, to establish the cause of the electrical leakage.
"I would like to stress again that Southern Electric has confirmed that there was no danger to the public on Saturday.
"Further to the BHA's statement, we are pleased that racing has been authorised for Friday."
The Berkshire track has been officially cleared by the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) to hold the rescheduled Trophy Hurdle meeting Friday after the meeting was abandoned following the first race at the weekend.